Events and Activities, T-Shirts, and Tickets Update¶
We’re just under two months out, and we hope everyone is getting excited!
In this update, we’re happy to share with you the different events and activities that will be available as a part of the conference, announce our pop-up t-shirt shop, and remind you to grab your tickets before they run out (hint: very soon!).
Tickets are selling out¶
Every year we are amazed at the growing support of our community, and tickets have been selling out earlier each conference. We are now just over 80% sold out, and judging from past events we do expect to be sold out within the next couple weeks.
If you’re still on the fence, now is the time to decide and get your tickets.
Write the Docs aims to continuously expand our community to be more diverse, welcoming, and inclusive.
This year we are launching our first collaboration with DiversityTickets.org, a wondeful non-profit organization that shares qualifying events with various diversity organizations, and helps folks from underrepresented groups find events to attend.
Diversity scholarship tickets are free, and we hope to welcome more people from all walks of life to join our community. Please share this campaign with your social networks and encourage folks to apply if they are interested to join us!
New this year, we’re offering free child care for attendees who are traveling with their children provided by DivCare PDX. In order to plan capacity, the deadline to register is April 22nd, 2019. Please email us at email@example.com to request one of the limited spots. We hope this effort will help more of our lovely documentarians to attend the conference!
Shirts on sale¶
Following last year’s pilot, we are happy to announce that the Write the Docs Portland 2019 Pop-Up Shop is now open! We have loose and fitted options from different fabrics, and you can choose exactly the size and cut you want!
The campaign will run in 3-day batches until May 30th. We recommend to order your shirt at least 2-3 weeks in advance, to allow for timely delivery of your shirts ahead of the conference.
Similarly, we will be continuing our bag swag this year, which you can pick up at the conference.
Events and activities¶
Write the Docs is more than a conference. Every year we make sure to have a variety of activities that our attendees can enjoy, whether you want to learn something, meet new people, or share knowledge.
- Hike. If you’re in town early, join us on Saturday for our traditional hike. This activity is a great chance to get to know your fellow documentarians in a smaller setting. The hike is free with your conference ticket, but space is limited! We will publish a separate registration soon.
- Writing Day. The Writing Day will be held on Sunday from 9am-5pm, and you can drop in at any time during the day. If you have a project you want to propose to others, you can pitch your topic during the welcome announcement that will be held at 9:30am. Please email us if you want to submit a project for the Writing Day!
- Welcome reception. The meet-and-greet event will be held on Sunday from 5pm-8pm. You can pick up your badge and enjoy a couple of drinks and snacks on us. This is a great chance to meet your fellow documentarians before the conference starts.
- Lightning Talks. We’ll have lightning talks each day after lunch. These are 5 minute presentations and a lot of fun. They can be about anything you want, this is your chance to share something you are passionate about with the audience. Slides are not required.
- Unconference. We’ll be running the Unconference all day Monday and on Tuesday afternoon. Want to chat with like-minded folks about a specific thing? This is the place. We’ll have a sign-up board so you know what’s happening, and supplies to help you brainstorm.
- Social event. This is a private party just for conference attendees, held on Monday evening from 7pm, with free snacks and drinks. Details about the venue will be posted closer to the day.
- Job Fair. Following last year’s great success, on Tuesday morning we’ll have a job fair where you can find your next documentarian friendly job.
The Schedule page has the latest and most complete information about all our events. This is where we will also update any changes/cancellations if they should occur.
More news soon¶
We’re putting together the final talk schedule, finalizing the social event and hike details, and getting more excited, so stay tuned!