Write the Docs Hike¶
Every year we have a conference hike, and at this point it’s a fantastic tradition. We’ll be doing the same hike again this year, because it’s the best one easily accessible from downtown Portland.
It’s rained on us the past, but we have faith it will be beautiful this year! We will hopefully see Mount Hood at the top :)
Please register for your ticket so we can contact you in advance for day-of weather and logistics information
- Tickets: Register your hike ticket
- Date & Time: Leaves promptly at Saturday, April 13, 1 PM.
- Start: Lower Macleay Park (Map link). There is a pavilion at the park entrance where we will gather.
- End (CHANGED): Lower Macleay Park around 4pm.
We will be hiking in the amazing Forest Park, the largest urban forested park in the country. It is conveniently located in Northwest Portland, and has a beautiful walk along a creek, and a beautiful view from the top.
Unfortunately the trail that we were planning to hike is currently closed due to spring rain. This means that we’ll hike “out and back” from Lower Macleay Trailhead to Pittock Mansion, and returning to the starting point. Options for public transit to and from the starting point are a bit limited, so we will work to ensure folks have a ride, or can get a ride share back to your accommodation.
What to bring¶
May in Portland can be interesting. The temperature will probably be in the 60s, with a chance of rain. So, please bring:
- Comfortable shoes, that you are comfortable getting a bit muddy.
- 1 liter of water. There is water available halfway through the hike.
- A light rain jacket. It won’t be cold, but it might drizzle on you.
- High spirits!
The hike will be around 6 miles long, and have 1000 feet of elevation gain. This classifies as a moderate hike. We’ll be going nice and slow so people can appreciate the views and forest.
You can find a full description here: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Pittock_Mansion_Hike
Then we will switchback through beautiful forest until we get to Pittock Mansion. Pittock affords one of the best views of the city, and hopefully Mt. Hood & Mt. St. Helens if it’s clear!
We hope you will join us for this pre-conference activity!