Portland 2020 ticket choices¶
As we’ve announced, Write the Docs Portland 2020 will be a virtual conference.
If you currently have a ticket to Write the Docs Portland, your options are:
- Pre-order a ticket to the online event for 25% and get a refund for the remaining 75% of your original ticket amount.
- Convert your existing ticket into a virtual ticket pass, valid for all of our online events until the end of 2021. We plan to move Portland & Prague online this year at least, and offer similar online events next year. Support the Write the Docs organization by helping us cover operating expenses for the next year and a half.
- Get a full refund of your original ticket amount on May 15th, 2020. This option will happen automatically if you don’t select either of the previous options.
You can submit your choice in the form below.
What your money supports¶
Write the Docs was founded in 2013 to build a community for documentarians. There are many communities for particular technologies, or particular areas of writing. Write the Docs is quite unique in including everyone who cares about communication, documentation, and their users. That includes programmers, tech writers, developer advocates, customer support, marketers, and anyone else who wants people to have great experiences with software.
Over the years, we have grown to a community that includes:
- A Slack network with over 9,000 members.
- Yearly conferences on 3 continents, and video archives from all conference years.
- Meetups in almost 50 cities.
- A monthly newsletter with over 7,500 subscribers.
- A global job board for documentarian-friendly positions
- An extensive documentation guide.
We also run incidental activities, such as our recent salary survey, and are currently exploring even more ways to support the community and help our community stay connected.
Write the Docs is self-sustaining, and events are our main source of income. We have already paid over $25,000 in venue and vendor down payments. We hope to get some of this money back, and if we aren’t able to get this money back or make additional revenue this year it would put the organization at risk. This is especially true if we aren’t able to hold conferences again next year.
We have many other operational expenses which our conferences pay for including:
- Contractors who work on our events
- Taxes & bookkeeping
- Domain registration
- Mailing lists
- Email & help desk tools
- Job Board hosting
- Password management
- Photo hosting
- Other administrative and marketing expense
Supporting our organization at this time ensure all our activities can continue in the future. If you are able to, we’re grateful for your contribution.