Welcome to Write the Docs Prague 2019¶
Yet another edition of Write the Docs Prague nearly upon us! We’re excited to see you all in just a few days.
Below you’ll find all the practical information you need to navigate the event and activities.
- Read the Welcome Wagon Guide. Our Welcome Wagon Guide is packed full of information on how to get the most out of the conference. There will also be a few Welcome Wagon events that will help you learn more about the conference.
- Review the schedule. The Schedule Page has the latest and most complete information about the presentations and activities. This is where we will also update any changes or cancellations if they occur.
- Review the Code of Conduct. We have a wonderful community full of diverse and amazing people. We expect everyone to behave in a respectful manner at all conference events and online channels. Our Code of Conduct boils down to “Be excellent to each other”, but the full text is also available. Our mobile phone numbers and email addresses are on that page if you ever need to contact us.
- Review the venue information. Our Venue Page for information about accessibility and orientation. If you have any specific accessibility questions, please email us at email@example.com and we will be happy to do our best to make the event as accessible as possible. Once again we will be live captioning all presentations, and priority accessibility seating will be available near the stage.
- Plan a project for Writing Day. The Writing Day will be held on Sunday from 9:00-17:00, and you can drop in at any time during the day. If you have a project you want to propose to others, you can pitch your topic during the welcome announcement that will be held at 10:00. Check out the Writing Day page for a few suggested projects.
- Plan a lightning talk. We’ll have lightning talks each day after lunch. These are 5 minute presentations and a lot of fun. They can be about anything you want; this is your chance to share something you are passionate about with the audience. Slides are not required.
- Get ready for the Job Fair. On Tuesday morning we’ll have a job fair where you can find your next documentarian-friendly job.
- Plan an unconference session. We’ll be running the Unconference all day Monday and on Tuesday afternoon. Want to chat with like-minded folks about a very specific thing? This is the place. We’ll have a sign-up board so you know what’s happening, and supplies to help you brainstorm.
- Coffee, breakfast, and lunch are provided on all three days! Don’t worry about coffee before you come to the conference on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. Coffee and breakfast are served at 9:00 each day, and the conference programme starts at 10:00.
Find your way around¶
- Getting around Prague. Public transit is generally excellent in Prague, and there are private rides and taxi options too. For more information, see our Visiting Prague page, which has all the details you need to get around.
- Where to go? What do do? If you want specific food, drink, and sightseeing recommendation, our Visiting Prague Coordinator Jakub Mikuláš (@gak on Slack) will be available on Slack to advise you on the best places to eat, drink, and be merry in and around town.
- Join us for the boat ride. If you’re planning to come for the boat ride on Saturday at 13:45, make sure you register in advance . We are almost at capacity for the boat, so if you’re on the fence, grab your ticket now! Registrations for the boat ride will close on Friday, September 13th.
- Pre-register at the welcome reception. The meet-and-greet event will be held on Sunday from 17:00-20:00. You can pick up your badge and enjoy a drink and a snack on us. This is a great chance to meet your fellow documentarians before the conference starts.
- Relax at the social event on Monday night. This is a private evening event only for conference attendees. Plan to attend so you can get to know folks in the community. We will be at eRKo Gastro Pub (Restaurant by Retro), Francouzská 4, Prague 2 on Monday evening from 20:00, with free snacks and drinks while our tab last. A full dinner will not be served, but you should have enough time before we start to grab some dinner if you want a sit-down meal.
- Participate in the badge flair contest. What started as an unofficial activity is now a conference tradition. The Badge Flair Contest is a fun way to make the most out of your badge flair. We look forward to seeing your creative decorations!
- Show off your Write the Docs shirt. If you picked up this year’s shirt at our T-Shirt Pop-Up Shop we’d love to see you sporting your new threads! And don’t worry, the campaign will run until September 30th in case you still want to order one as a souvenir.