Convince Your Manager¶
Do you need help justifying why your employer should send you to Write the Docs? Don’t worry – you’re not alone. Based on the experiences of some of our previous attendees, we’ve put together a sample email and list of resources below. Feel free to adapt and share with your manager to show them the many benefits of attending!
Remember to change the things in [brackets]!
FROM: [your name]
TO: [your employer or manager’s name]
SUBJECT: Professional Development: Documentation Community Conference
I’d like to attend Write the Docs Prague, which takes place October 3-5, 2021, online. This three-day online event explores the art and science of documentation, and covers a diverse range of topics related to documentation in the software industry.
Write the Docs conferences bring together everyone who writes the docs – Tech Writers, Developers, Developer Relations, Customer Support – making the events an ideal networking opportunity. Each conference successfully combines a number of different event formats to deliver engaging, practical, and timely content.
There is a single track of talks, a parallel unconference event, and a community writing day. The sessions from last year will give you a good idea of the kinds of topics covered, many of which are relevant to my work.
- Conference ticket - €150
- Discovering solutions to problems I’m facing at work
- Exposure to the latest ideas, techniques, and tools for software docs
- Opportunity to learn from the best doc teams in the industry
- Building professional connections with other documentarians
Thanks in advance, [your name]
When discussing how to pitch the conference, a few generally helpful tips emerged:
- Highlight a few specific talks that relate to ongoing projects at work. (This one’s dependent on pitching after the talk line up has been announced).
- If your company is looking to hire another documentarian, the job fair and networking at the event are an excellent resource.
- Don’t forget that one of the benefits to your attendance is that it raises the visibility of your company in the community. If your team wants a reputation for caring about their docs, having people at Write the Docs is a great way to do that.
In addition, it can be useful to share some info about previous conferences. You can find the websites for previous events on Conferences, and a quick list of last year’s talks down below. But perhaps more useful might be some of the info in our Press Kit, which includes community testimonials, photos, and more.