Welcome to Write the Docs Portland 2023¶
We’re 1 week out from the conference, and we hope everyone is getting excited!
In this update we discuss a change to the hike, share details on the livestream, and a few other updates as the conference approaches.
Unfortunately the trail that we were planning to hike is currently closed due to spring rain. This means that we’ll hike “out and back” from Lower Macleay Trailhead to Pittock Mansion, and returning to the starting point. Options for public transit to and from the starting point are a bit limited, so we will work to ensure folks have a ride, or can get a ride share back to your accommodation.
See more information on the Hike page
If you can’t attend the conference in person, we will be broadcasting all the main stage presentations on our Livestream page . You can join the #live-streaming channel on Slack to connect with other remote attendees, ask questions, and troubleshoot technical issues with the stream. We are excited that folks can watch the conference talks from anywhere in the world with an internet connection!
Things to prepare for¶
- Read the Welcome Wagon Guide. Our Welcome Wagon Guide is full of information on how to get the most out of the conference. There will also be a few Welcome Wagon events that will help you learn more about the conference.
- Read the Visiting Portland information. Our Visiting Portland page contains all the information you need for finding food, transit, and other things to do while you’re in town.
- Review the schedule. The Schedule page has the latest and most complete information about the presentations. This is where we will also update any changes/cancellations if they occur.
- Review the Code of Conduct. We have a wonderful community full of diverse and amazing people. We expect everyone to behave in a respectful manner at all conference events and online channels. Our Code of Conduct has the full information.
- Review our Health & Safety policy. Please read over our Health and Safety policy, so you understand the measures we’re taking to keep our attendees safe. If you’re attending the conference, please also upload your vaccination card to your tickets (see the email you received via our registration provider, Tito, for instructions).
Get involved at the conference¶
- Join us on the hike. If you’re in town early, join us on Saturday for our traditional hike. This activity is a great chance to get to know your fellow documentarians in a smaller setting. The hike is free with your conference ticket, but space is limited!
- Host a table or participate in Writing Day. The Writing Day will be held on Sunday from 9am-5pm, with a reception afterwards. You can drop in at any time during the day. If you have a project you want to propose to others, you can pitch your topic during the welcome announcement that morning.
- Welcome reception. The meet-and-greet event will be held on Sunday from 5pm-7pm. You can pick up your badge and enjoy a couple of drinks and snacks on us. This is a great chance to meet your fellow documentarians before the conference starts, and beat the Monday morning rush.
- Plan an unconference session. We’ll be running the Unconference all day Monday and Tuesday. Want to chat with like-minded folks about a very specific thing? This is the place. We’ll have a sign-up board so you know what’s happening, and supplies to help you brainstorm.
- Plan a lightning talk. We’ll have Lightning Talks each day after lunch. These are 5 minute presentations and a lot of fun. They can be about anything you want. This is your chance to share something you are passionate about with the audience. Slides are not required.
- Join us at the Monday night social. This is an event just for conference attendees, held on Monday evening from 7pm-9pm, with free snacks and drinks. It will be held at Loyal Legion (710 SE 6th Ave) with good non-alcoholic beverage options, as well as alcoholic.
The Schedule page has the latest and most complete information about all our events. This is where we will also update any changes/cancellations if they should occur.
Thanks to our sponsors¶
Thanks to our sponsors for supporting the conference again this year:
We hope you’ll have a chance to chat with them at the Sponsor Expo on Tuesday morning.
See you soon!¶
We’re excited about the conference and can’t wait to see you all in Portland!